According to a 2021 Rasmussen phone poll of 1000 likely US voters, about 58% of the American voting public views the media as the “enemy of the people.” Rasmussen Reports has this to say:
A new national telephone and online survey by Rasmussen Reports finds that 58% of Likely U.S. Voters at least somewhat agree that the media are “truly the enemy of the people,” including 34% who Strongly Agree. Thirty-six percent (36%) don’t agree, including 23% who Strongly Disagree.
Three questions were asked of poll participants:
- Do you trust the political news you are getting?
- How serious of a problem is “fake news” in the media?
- Do you agree or disagree with this statement: The media are “truly the enemy of the people”?
The wording of the third question echoed Trump’s 2019 tweet in which he said “Fake News is truly the ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!”
Here’s how the entirety of the poll results broke down, as Newsmax reports:
- 76% of Republicans agree with the “enemy of the people” phrase in describing the media.
- 37% of Democrats agree with the phrase.
- 61% of independents agree with the phrase.
- 83% of voters believe “fake news” is a serious problem in the media, compared to 14% who disagree.
- 92% of Republicans believe “fake news” is a serious problem, compared to 74% of Democrats. 82% of independents believe it to be a serious problem.
- 37% say they trust the political news they’re getting, compared to 43% who don’t trust it. 20% are not sure.
- 54% believe that most reporters who write or talk about President Joe Biden are attempting to help him pass his agenda.
Supermajorities of Republicans and Independents agree with the “enemy of the people phrase.” A significant minority of Democrats agree. A huge chunk of the population, >80%, views fake news as a problem. Many view the political news as untrustworthy and think reporters are trying to help Biden rather than report on the news.
Though the poll was conducted in July of 2021, it’s unlikely the news for the news has gotten much better, as the trend has been toward a more and more negative view of the media.
For example, a 2020 Knight and Gallup poll found that “only 20% of Democrats have an unfavorable view [of the media], and 66% say that attacks are not justified.” That number had gone up by at least 17% by the time of the Rasmussen poll, where 37% of Democrats agreed with the “enemy of the people” phrase, showing a strong trend toward distrust of the media.
That trend has likely only accelerated as more and more media narratives have proven false, namely its slanderous lies about Kyle Rittenhouse and false reporting on the Steele dossier. As Lara Trump recently told Fox:
This is nothing new for the mainstream media. In fact, they’ve been trying to tell us what they want us to hear and not the truth for quite some time now. And people have finally started to wake up in America and say, ‘Wait a minute, I don’t think I’ve been getting the facts from these quote-unquote journalists out there,’ because that’s not what they are at all. A lot of these people consider themselves to be political activists, and they disguise themselves as journalists. But I think it’s why you see the distrust in the media at an all-time high in our country right now because you haven’t been able to get the facts about a lot of things. They’ve been pushing a certain narrative for so long.
Noting the trend, Rasmussen reported on November 12th that a full 53% of the American populace now doesn’t trust the political news they’re getting. That’s up 10% from the July survey, a massive increase in the space of a few months. So, Americans’ view of the media is getting worse and worse as its narratives are proven false.
This story syndicated with permission from Will – Trending Politics
Notice: This article may contain commentary that reflects the author's opinion.
My Pillow Coupon Code = ILMF
Tap Here and Use It!
Calling All Americans! Patriot Fetch is Conservative Breaking News Headlines every day, all day. Go to PatriotFetch homepage for daily Conservative news or look below for the next hot story!