The United States Senate Committee on Finance released a press release that suggests Democrat proposals could end up raising taxes on millions of Americans. This information comes from research conducted by the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation, otherwise known as JCT, and they’re making estimates on what the Democrats are proposing with a “tax-and-spend” proposal.
This is said to raise taxes on Americans who make less than $400,000 per year. As quoted on their press release: “While Republicans’ pro-growth tax reform in 2017 reduced tax rates for all Americans in a way that increased the progressivity of the tax code and produced historic gains in job and wage growth, the Democrats’ approach to tax reform means increasing taxes on low- and middle-income Americans to fund their partisan Green New Deal,” said U.S. Senate Finance Committee Ranking Member Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), who requested the analysis. “Americans are already experiencing the consequences of Democrats’ reckless economic policies. The mislabeled ‘Inflation Reduction Act’ will do nothing to bring the economy out of stagnation and recession, but it will raise billions of dollars in taxes on Americans making less than $400,000.” “The more this bill is analyzed by impartial experts, the more we can see Democrats are trying to sell the American people a bill of goods,” Crapo continued. “Non-partisan analysts are confirming this bill raises taxes on the middle class and produces no meaningful deficit reduction when gimmicks are removed and the full cost is accounted for. It’s no wonder this bill, which was drafted behind closed doors, is being rushed through the Senate at record pace.”
What is more alarming is what the JCT reported directly:
- In 2023, taxes will increase by $16.7 billion on American taxpayers earning less than $200,000—a nearly $17 billion tax targeted solidly at low- and middle-income earners next year, amidst stagflation.
- The $17 billion hit alone is confirmation that the Biden pledge to not raise taxes on anyone earning less than $400,000 is shattered by the latest tax-and-spend bill.
- The proposal would raise another $14.1 billion from taxpayers earning between $200,000 and $500,000.
- According to JCT data, 98 percent of all tax returns filed by those in the $200,000 to $500,000 category are filed by those earning between $200,000 and $400,000, with at least three-fourths of the income in the $200,000 to $500,000 category also coming from those below $400,000, meaning it is likely that at least half of all new tax revenue raised next year would come from those earning under $400,000.
- Throughout the ten-year window, the average tax rate for nearly every single income category would increase.
- By 2031, when the new green energy credits and subsidies provide an even greater benefit to those at higher incomes, those earning below $400,000 are projected to bear as much as two-thirds of the burden of the additional tax revenue collected that year.
Will the Democrat’s proposals become reality? That remains to be seen.
Notice: This article may contain commentary that reflects the author's opinion.
My Pillow Coupon Code = ILMF
Tap Here and Use It!
Calling All Americans! Patriot Fetch is Conservative Breaking News Headlines every day, all day. Go to PatriotFetch homepage for daily Conservative news or look below for the next hot story!